Saturday, July 25, 2026

The Occupied Space


Let me set the scene the way the century set it. The year is 1968. A thin book appears, written by the most celebrated stage director alive, Peter Brook, and it opens with a sentence the theatre memorized like scripture: take any empty space and call it a bare stage; a man walks across that space while someone watches him, and that is all the theatre needs to be. Four essays follow, four names the field still teaches to every student: the Deadly Theatre, the Holy Theatre, the Rough Theatre, the Immediate Theatre. I read that book young. I taught it. And for fifty years I kept walking into the rooms it described and noticing the same stubborn fact. The floor was never bare. Somebody owns it, somebody polices it, and somebody pays for it. And the figure who crosses that floor can die while crossing it, and the room knows. That knowledge is the whole book.

 


Check out this episode!